Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Music: Near Misses 41-45

As I mentioned several times in the Top 40 music, there were numerous songs and tunes that came close but didn't make the final list. Initially I put together a 'long list' of any song I could think of that was vaguely possible. From that I cut out some that I knew wouldn't make the final 40 and ended up with a 'Short List' of about 75. And from there it was a case of ranking them all, and simply cutting the line off after 40.

Meaning there are 35 other items that failed to make the final list, each with their own pros, cons and particular reasons for missing out. For the next few days I'll list these through quickly  - beginning with the ones that just missed out and ended up at numbers 41-45.


High Hopes - Pink Floyd: Just missed out due to plodding vocal section. Slide guitar solo immense and amazing, and frankly could go on another ten minutes without anyone minding.


Christmas Eve/Sarajevo - Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Driving, energetic, musically interesting, mildly let down by quieter section in the middle.


Cavatina - John Williams: Probably would have been in except for the fact the ending somehow seems forced to me. Maybe I'm totally wrong.


Gaudete - Steeleye Span: Lost its spot to 'Fairytale of New York' very late on when I realised there would probably only be room for one Christmas song.


Find the River - REM: Wonderful harmonies, particularly in the chorus. Just not quite gripping enough and lost out to 'Bad Day' and 'Let Mercy Lead'.

No comments: