Friday, May 29, 2015

Music: Near Misses 56-60

And on with the next set of songs that didn't have what it takes to crack the final 40...


Wolf Creek Pass - C.W. McCall: Just listen to the lyrics and how he puts it together with the music. Not one of the top 40 ever but perfect for what it sets out to achieve... "well I looked at Earl and his eyes was wide, his lip was curled and his leg was fried" or "Well the sign said clearance to the twelve-foot line, but the chickens were stacked to thirteen-nine". Genius.


Awake O Sleeper - Kelanie Gloeckler: More a personal choice having heard her perform it live back in 2002. Album versions - even live ones - don't capture the moment. (The version in this video is by Karren Wheaton rather than Kelanie, couldn't find a YouTube version of Kelanie singing it)


Hosanna - Kirk Franklin: Closest choir harmonies you might ever hear and a song to lift your spirit. Ending drags on too long, however.


Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin: A timeless classic - unquestionably - but somehow failed to age as well as others in my experience. I just don't ever listen to it any more.


Angels and Eskimos - Kate Moody: Not quite enough to break the top 40, but wonderful piano composition, both the slow sections at either end and the main theme. Almost enough to make me want to play the piano.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see your Led Zeppelin and I raise you Rodrigo y Gabriela https://youtu.be/vNc5o9TU0t0

DuncMcRae said...

EXACTLY! Something like that really brings it back to life. I don't think until I did this list that I've listened to Stairway in about 12 years.